Virtualization Interview Questions & Answers part1
Q: – What is Virtualization ?
Virtualization (or virtualisation), in computing, is the creation of a virtual (rather than actual) version of something, such as a hardware platform, operating system, a storage device or network resources.
Q: – what are the types of hardware virtualization?
Full virtualization: Almost complete simulation of the actual hardware to allow software, which typically consists of a guest operating system, to run unmodified Partial virtualization: Some but not all of the target environment is simulated. Some guest programs, therefore, may need modifications to run in this virtual environment.
Paravirtualization: A hardware environment is not simulated; however, the guest programs are executed in their own isolated domains, as if they are running on a separate system. Guest programs need to be specifically modified to run in this environment.
Q: – What are the benefits of virtualization?
Virtualization is a creation of virtual machines and to manage them from one place. It allows the resources to be shared with large number of network resources. Virtualization is having lots of benefits and they are as follows:
1. It helps in saving lots of cost and allows to easily maintaining it, in less cost.
2. It allows multiple operating systems on one virtualization platform.
3. It removes the dependency of heavy hardware to run the application.
4. It provides consolidating servers that are used for crashing of a server purpose
5. It reduces the amount of space being taken by data centres and company data.
Q: – What is the purpose of a Hypervisor?
Hypervisor is a program that manages the virtual machine. It also act like virtual machine manager that manages the many virtual machines from one place. It allows multiple operating system to share single hardware host. Each operating system in this consists of its own defined space consisting of space, memory and processor. It is used as a controller program to control host processors and resources. It separates out the layer between many operating systems so that one can’t conflict with another one.
Q: – How ESX server related to VMWare?
ESX server is the enterprise edition of VMWare. It provides server virtualization platform that allows many operating systems to be shared together in a convenient way and consists of a centralized management platform that is also known as virtual centre. ESX server is a virtualization technique that is used to create cloud applications and allows easy development of cloud platforms. It is related to VMWare as it is the upper layer of it.
Q: – What is the difference between ESX and GSX server?
GSX server acts as type 2 hypervisor that gets installed on the host operating system’s hardware like windows and Linux. VMWare workstation gets mixed up with GSX server to provide it more functionality to run your applications and operating systems. ESX server on the other hand, is type 1 hypervisor that runs its software directly on the system’s hardware and it doesn’t require any operating system prior to its installation. It is level 0 hypervisor and it has its own operating system.
Q: – How VMWare Kernel different from other kernels?
VMWare kernel is a proprietary kernel that means that it is a registered kernel by VMWare Company and it is not based on any other kernel architecture or any other operating system. VMWare consists of a kernel that requires an operating system to boot it. A service console is being provided when VMWare kernel is booted.
Q: – What are the features provided by VMWare for easy access?
VMWare provides several features to make it easy for the user to access and maintain it. The features are as follows:
- VMWare provides web browser interface
- It provides easy to use wizard to configure the settings
- It provides tools to easily create hosts and maintain it from one place
- It provides easy maintenance of Virtual machines
- It provides easy graphics to configure the VMWare settings for security
Q: – What are the different components used in VMWare infrastructure?
The different and major components used in VMWare infrastructure is as follows:
- VMWare infrastructure consists of the lowest layer which acts as a ESX server host.
- VMWare infrastructure also use the virtual centre server that keep tracks of all the VM related images and manage it from one point.
- VMWare infrastructure (VI) client: this allows the client to interact with user’s applications that are running on VMWare.
- Web browser is used to access the virtual machines.
- License server is used to create a server that provides licensing to the applications
- Database servers are used to maintain a database.
Submitted By:-Shikha Bhargav Email-ID: – firstname.lastname@example.org