Chapter-1: Perl programming language introduction
Perl is a programming language was developed by Larry Wall. Perl language especially used for text processing on Linux, UNIX, Mac OS & Windows operating systems. Full form of PERL is Practical Extraction and Report Language. Because Perl’s is an interpreted language, so your perl code runs without compilation.
Perl language Features:
- Perl takes the best features from other languages, such as C, scripting tools like awk, sed, sh, and BASIC, among others.
- Perls database integration interface (DBI) supports third-party databases like Oracle, Sybase, Postgres, MySQL and others.
- Perl works with HTML, XML, and other mark-up languages.
- Perl supports both procedural and object-oriented programming.
- Perl is extensible. There are over 20,000 third party modules available from the Comprehensive Perl Archive Network (CPAN).
Perl for Web Server
How Perl Language is used by a Web Server? Answer is Apache server Perl’s mod_perl module allows the Apache web server to embed a Perl interpreter. Perl DBI Package required for web database integration.
Perl command options with their description
-d Run program under debugger
-l Specify @INC/#include directory
-T Enable tainting checks
-t Enable tainting warnings
-U Allow unsafe operations
-w Enable many useful warnings
-W Enable all warnings
-X Disable all warnings
-e program Run program in single quote from command line
How to run a Perl script from Command line of Linux or UNIX Operating Systems.
Note: Every perl script should be saved with .pl extension.
$ perl script.pl
Perl Data Types
Scalar: Scalar is simple variable starting with $ sign, There is no difference in data type like string,integer as in other language.
Hashes: Hashe is variable starting with % sign. It used to store data in key value pair.
Arrays: Arrays is variable starting with @ sign.It used to store multiple scalar variable or objects.
Coming soon….In the next chapter release we will discuss the details of the data types and loop details.